Serving Since 1938
Like many other successful corporations, The Shelly Company began with the vision of one man. Charles J. Shelly surrounded himself with hardworking people and gradually grew his company into what is today a leading asphalt, ready mix concrete and construction paving contractor.
In 1921, Charles J. Shelly, fresh out of high school, went to work in the construction industry. After several years learning the business and its contracting practices, he started his own company in 1938. In the early years, much of the work involved road servicing projects around company headquarters in Thornville, Ohio.
By 1963, The Shelly Company had become an established contractor and asphalt producer in the Central Ohio area. Shelly acquired its first asphalt plant and started looking into expanding its business operations to include aggregate mining.
The company’s footprint continued to expand, and by 1985, 24 subsidiary companies had merged under the Shelly umbrella. The geographical diversification of these subsidiaries provided The Shelly Company an edge on the competition.
In 2000, Oldcastle, Inc., a CRH plc company headquartered in Atlanta, acquired The Shelly Company. Oldcastle transitioned it from a privately owned company into a publically traded company, providing a national footprint. Much good came from this transaction, including advanced training opportunities, increased safety and expanded resources.
Over the years, The Shelly Company has grown from a surface treatment company with six pieces of equipment into a vast conglomerate of aggregates, asphalt and ready mix concrete producers, liquid terminal suppliers, river transportation companies and unloading and loading facilitators. And with more than 90 locations and 1,800 employees, we have the infrastructure in place to see that growth continue.