The Shelly Company, an Oldcastle company, 2016 intern program started in June and ran through mid-August. It is designed for college students majoring in fields of study related to the construction building materials industry. Shelly management and team members provided them with real-life insights into the types of opportunities available across the diverse facets of the company.
The 11 interns had an in-depth exposure to a variety of departments — from maintenance to quality control, safety, community, planning, R&D and beyond — designed to help these students with an advantage of learning outside the text books.
“Our goal was to implement a quality program to exceed the typical summer internship and really engage these eager, talented young people, “said Ty Nofziger, president The Shelly Company. “More than just offering a paid summer position, this program brings these young people into our organization and provides them the opportunity to attain deep understanding about the company in a short timeframe.”
The Shelly Company Summer 2016 interns include:
- Andrew Miller (Cedarville College – Accounting)
- Evan Sanders ( Bowling Green University – Construction)
- Tyler Grant (Penn State – Aggregates)
- Enzo Cannata (Penn State – Aggregates)
- Brendan Masterson (University of Akron – Construction)
- Alexander Jones (University of Akron – Construction)
- Bowe Andrews (Georgia Tech – Sales)
- Aaron Franklin (Eastern Kentucky University – Finance)
- Audrey Karhoff (University of Kentucky – Public Relations)
- Hunter McGhee (Virginia Tech – Aggregates)
- Trent Grassbaugh (Ohio State University –Construction)
Beyond the on-site work, their experiences also included participating in Shelly meetings like the online marketing committee and Shelly technology group as well as community events and appreciation luncheons.
In closing, the interns gave presentations covering their experience and what they learned at the Findlay office to senior management including Ty Nofziger, Shelly President; Milan Andrin, Shelly CFO; Steve Conklin, vice president and general manager Northeast Division; Lyle Snyder, vice president and general manager Northwest Division; and Steve Draper, Shelly Safety Director.
Shelly’s intern program has evolved over the years and continues to grow. If you know of someone who would be interested to participate in the Shelly internship program contact Human Resources or email firstname.lastname@example.org.